Before becoming the prime minister of Italy, Giorgia Meloni made a promise to “always fight for the freedom of Christians in the world,” and it appears from the latest events that she is sticking to her promise. Last month, Meloni’s government announced the formation of a special envoy for the purpose of protecting Christians all over the world. On January 10, Antonio Tajani, the Italian Foreign Minister, announced the appointment of the envoy and also reported that he approached the ancient chivalric order, the Order of Malta for helping them to make sure that the tormented condition of the persecuted Christians is reduced.
National Catholic Register reports:
VATICAN CITY — When Giorgia Meloni vowed two years ago to “always fight for the freedom of Christians in the world,” her chances of becoming Italy’s prime minister were relatively slim and her promise seemed a worthy but vague aspiration.
Yet last month, with Meloni as prime minister since October, her government seems to be adhering to her promise by announcing the appointment of a special envoy dedicated to persecuted Christians.
Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani declared on Jan. 10 that he would soon appoint a “special envoy of the foreign ministry to protect the Christian communities persecuted in the world” and that he had “asked the Order of Malta to help us ensure that the suffering of these populations is reduced.”
The ancient chivalric order, whose motto Tuitio Fidei et Obsequium Pauperum means “Defense of the Faith and Service to the Poor and the Suffering,” will “work together” with the Meloni government “to protect Christian minorities in the world,” he said, adding that he believed it was “right to protect them and ensure that religious freedom can be everywhere.”
“There must be reciprocity, and we will fight for this,” said Tajani, a former vice president of the European Parliament who organized a high-level European Parliament conference on interfaith dialogue and the situation of Christians around the world in 2015.
In comments to the Register, the Order of Malta’s grand chancellor, Riccardo Paternò, said the order “warmly welcomes” Italy’s decision.
Read the full article here.