Shot by Culture Warriors
I ran across this story about John Fea this morning and I find it truly disturbing. Fea is a history professor and Department Chair at Messiah College who recently made the cardinal sin of saying something positive about Barrack Obama. Fea wrote an article for Patheos.com that both points to Obama’s explicitly Christian rhetoric and criticized him for failing to follow through on some of his faith-based promises from the 2008 campaign. That article was then discovered and written about on Glen Beck‘s ‘The Blaze‘. The part of the article that really set people off was when Fea wrote:
Obama may be the most explicitly Christian president in American history. If we analyze his language in the same way that historians examine the religious language of the Founding Fathers or even George W. Bush, we will find that Obama’s piety, use of the Bible, and references to Christian faith and theology put most other American presidents to shame on this front. I think there may be good reasons why some people will not vote for Obama in November, but his commitment to Christianity is not one of them.
In Fea’s response to the firestorm, he wrote:
When I awoke this morning I had dozens of angry e-mails. The voice-mail on my office phone was filled with nasty attacks. The Blaze currently has 800+ comments and the originally piece at Patheos has about 160…. In the last 24 hours I have been called a lot of names. I have been compared to Hitler, Louis Farrakhan, and Woodrow Wilson (yes, you read that last one correctly). Several expressed wishes that I be cast into perdition. A few demanded that the administration at the college where I teach fire me immediately.
Here are just a few samples of comments I pulled off the Blaze:
- Either the Professor was paid enormously or he has been fooled by the devil!
- Muslim groups and organizations have infiltrated our culture, seeking to establish Sharia (Islamic Law) across our great nation. With the election of Barack Hussein Obama as President, our political leadership has installed Muslims in powerful and key positions across the federal government.
- Are you kidding me? I think someone is looking for stimulus money.
- Evil is suductive. [sic] Obama is suductive. [sic]
- Obama and this professor are both frauds!
- this Self Proclaimed Christian Professor is full of crap.
- Yeah, right professor! How much did the OBAMMY Admin. pay you to lie like a dog?
- As a Messiah graduate, I hang my head in shame.
- Maybe that statement was meant to be a satire. I can’t believe anyone can be that dumb.
- Well since a typical communist professor (don’t care what college-if he’s spreading such propaganda he’s a communist) said it, it must be true. What an absolute crock of propaganda. No true Christian would be fooled by this.
- A wolf in sheeps clothing is still a WOLF!
- Gimme a break, seriously, is there no end to the crap these vile ill informed pinheads will spew?
- Holy Freak – this guy is smokin crack – He must want something from Obama because there is no way Obama is anything but a heretic.
- Wow! What flavor kool-aid is that moron drinking?
- Obama’s goal is to destroy any and all resistance within his Kingdom!!!! DON’T DOUBT IT !!!!! Websters new definition of EVIL= OBAMA
- This guy does not fear God! He works for the evil One. Whether he knows it or not!
Wow! And there are still 792 more comments on the Blaze not to mention the 186 comments on Patheos.com.
This vitriol is unbecoming of professing Christians. Is there any wonder that the world does not see the church as an extension of Christ’s love? One problem with war is that it produces collateral damage. Without proper discernment, Christians spray rapid-fire into the crowd, hitting anyone who does not stand perfectly beside them ideologically.